You have just grabbed a new iPhone or iPad, and although you know some basic features like launching an app or sending a message, you might sometimes wonder how to use other features? Well, this post will help with a number of tips and tricks that you should have in your tool belt.
How to take a screenshot
You see something fun, strange on your screen and you want to take a quick screenshot, just follow the below steps:
- Go to the screen that you want to take a screenshot.
- Now, press down on the Power + Home buttons on your iPhone/ iPad.
On iPhone X:
- Go to the screen for capturing.
- Quickly press and hold the Power button at the right side.
- Quickly press the Volume Up button at the exact same time.
- The screen will now flash white and there is the camera shutter sound (if the sound is enabled).
How to do a forced restart
If your iOS device is unresponsive, a forced restart will help you. Simply do these following steps:
On Newer iPhone models (from iPhone 8)
- Press Volume Up button and release it
- Quickly press the Volume Down button and release it
- Press the Power button until you see the Apple logo
On older iPhone models:
Press and hold the Power + Home (Volume Down on iPhone 7/7 Plus) buttons together until you see the Apple logo.
How to set up keyboard shortcuts
Keyboard shortcuts help you save a lot of time when turning some specific characters into snippets of commonly-used text. To set them up,
- Head to Settings > Generals
- Scroll down and tap on Keyboard.
- Tap on Text Replacement.
- Now, tap the +
- Enter the phrase appearing when you enter your shortcut.
- Enter your shortcut and tap Save
How to set up inserting a period
Inserting a period with a double space is a great way that can help in keeping up your writing pace while you can still use the proper punctuation. Here’s how to set it up.
- Launch Settings > tap on General
- Scroll down and tap on Keyboard.
- Flip the “.” Shortcut switch to the ‘on’ position.
How to use 3D Touch shortcuts
3D Touch shortcuts are very helpful to get something done or quickly head to a particular part of an app. To use it:
- Firmly press the icon of an app with shortcuts.
- Tap on your shortcut option.
How to turn predictive typing on and off
You find the predictive typing is annoying, here’s how to turn predictive typing off.
- Launch any app to open up the keyboard.
- Tap and hold on Globe
- Choose Keyboard Settings.
- Tap the Predictive switch to off, which means the switch is gray.
How to view recent webs history in Safari
Here is how you can take a look back to where you’ve access to the web.
- Launch Safari on your iPhone/ iPad.
- Tap and hold the back button to see the recent history.
- Choose a link if you want to open it again.
- Otherwise, tap on Done.
How to view and reopen closed tabs in Safari
If you accidentally close a tab in Safari, here’s how to look back at your recent tabs.
- Launch Safari browser.
- Tap on the Tab button (square).
- Tap on the +
- Choose the name of a recently-closed tab to open it again.
Also read: How to Fix Poor Performance on iOS 11.2.1
How to configure widgets
Widgets provide a helpful snapshot of shortcuts to open apps or actions.
- Swipe to the right from your Home screen.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the widget list and tap Edit.
- Tap the + button next to any widgets that you want to add.
How to turn Keyboard Clicks off
If you don’t like the sound when clicking the keyboard, you can easily disable it in Settings. To do so,
- Launch Settings on your Home screen.
- Tap on Sound & Haptics.
- Tap on the Keyboard Clicks When the switch is gray, the keyboard clicks means to be disabled.
Here are the important things that iOS users should know. If you have any questions, let’s know in the comment below.