Any of you here are using a Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone! Android 4.4.4 KitKat is the final official version that Galaxy S3 devices receive. So, it’s surprising when this five-year-old phone still receives an Android Pie beta Rom from developer computer. If you want to update your Galaxy S3 to the latest Android version, then read on this post to download and flash it on your phone.
However, before getting started, you need to look at the requirements first so that the process can be successful.
- Make sure your Galaxy S3 has already been installed a TWRP 3-2-3 custom recovery to flash this Android 9.0 custom ROM.
- Enable the USB Debugging option from Settings > Developer Options so that the connection is easier.
- Remember to back up all data on your Galaxy S3, since the process will erase your device’s internal storage.
- Keep your phone battery at least 50%, so it will not shut down during the process. Else, it will end up bricking your device.
The update is fairly your responsibility and we will not be blamed for any sort of problems or bugs created on your Galaxy S3 after the update. So you should be ready to take the risk yourself. Furthermore, make sure that you must not install this custom ROM on other devices. If you deal with any issues, let’s know in the comment section, we’re here to help you out.
Steps to Update Galaxy S3 to Android Pie custom ROM
- First of all, download the LineageOS 16.0 ROM for your Samsung Galaxy S3 and the Gapps 9.0 package
- Plug your Galaxy S3 into your computer with a USB cable and then copy both the files into the internal storage of your device.
- Once done, power your phone off, detach the USB cable and boot your phone into TWRP 3-23 Recovery mode by pressing & holding Power + Home + Volume Up buttons altogether.
- In recovery mode, tap on Wipe > Advanced Wipe and then tick on four options: Dalvik/ART, Cache, Data, System.
- Next, tap on Install and install the ROM file on your Galaxy S3. Simply swipe the slider to the right to start the installation. Wait until the process is done.
- Do not reboot your phone yet, continue to flash Gapps file to get Google Play services on your device by following the same steps.
- After the installation is successful, return to the Recovery menu and tap on “reboot now”.
That’s all! Now you have successfully flashed a LineageOS Android Pie ROM on your Galaxy S3. Now you can now surf your phone to experience all the new features. If your phone encounters bootlooop issue, then you need to hard reset it and then repeat the steps from the scratch. Let’s know the changes you see in your phone post update. If you face any issues, ping us back in the comment section, we shall try to find out a solution for you.