If you are planning to buy an Android phone, then you should know that if your device is unlocked or not. So, read this article below to know the difference between a locked and unlocked Android phone. Besides, we will also show you the way to check whether your Android device is unlocked or locked. When purchasing a new smartphone, there will be two options for you to choose. The first one is purchasing an unlocked phone and the other is a locked one. So, you’d better know what these two terms mean.
Unlocked Android Phone: is a phone directly or indirectly sold by the manufacturer. For instance, if you purchase a smartphone from Samsung, Google, LG, HTC or others. It is also known as a factory unlocked Android Phone.
Locked Android Phone: is a phone that is usually sold by a carrier and is also locked to that carrier’s services. When you put a sim card on another network, it will not show any signal and not allow you to make calls or use the services.
These Android phones usually are locked for 1-2 years. Once the period ends, your Android phone will be unlocked. You have to contact your carrier to unlock your phone either after the plan has ended.
How To Check if Android Phone is Unlocked
The easiest way to check if Android Phone is unlocked or not is switching the sim card currently on your phone with another network’s sim. To do so,
- Make sure that your Android device is working with the current sim card.
- Then, power off your phone, remove the current sim card and insert another new one.
- Next, simply turn your Android phone back on.
- Check if your Android phone has detected the new sim card or not.
You can easily test it by making a call and taking a look at the carrier’s signal. Normally, if your phone is locked, when you insert the sim card of another carrier, there will be a popup saying, ‘unsupported sim’ or you can see the non-signal bars with a cross.
Also see: How To Unblock Blocked Websites
Use IMEI Number to check if Android Phone is locked
Another method to find whether your Android phone is unlocked or not is checking the IMEI number.
- First, get the IMEI number of the Android Phone you purchase by dialing *#06# on the keypad.
- Then visit the imei.info website, and enter the IMEI number and hit enter.
- After you check it, you will see your Android Phone’s information. After that, simply select the option on ‘SIMLOCK & WARRANTY’
It will also show you the carrier the Android Phone belongs to. You should also mention if your Android device is unlocked or locked.
These are the popular ways to check if your Android phone is locked or not. We hope these methods will help you to check if your Android Phone is locked or unlocked. Let us know your thought in the comment below.