In the latest version of Google Chrome for desktop and mobile, it includes elements of a Material Design refresh, which are disabled by default. However, we can activate it in the hidden settings, here’s how to do it
If you feel strange with Material Design, it’s a set of design guidelines first introduced in 2014 by Google across desktop, mobile, and web. It takes better advantage of grid-based layouts, responsive animations, and depth effects such as lighting and shadows.
How to Material Design in Chrome for iOS
To enable the new Material Design refresh in the Chrome browser on your iOS device, simply follow the below steps:
1) Update your Chrome 68 or later version.
2) Open it and tap on the URL bar, then enter this URL:
3) Tap the switch next to “UI Refresh Phase 1” and select Enabled from the menu.
4) Choose the left arrow in the left corner.
5) Restart your Chrome by double-clicking the Home button to force close the app switcher or swiping up from the bottom edge, pausing, then swiping up on Chrome’s thumbnail if you are using iPhone X.
6) Relaunch Chrome to apply the change and take effect.
Since older versions didn’t have a dedicated search button, so you need to tap on the URL bar to search at any time.
How to Enable Material Design in Chrome for Mac
If you want to activate the Material Design in Chrome for desktop, just do the following steps:
1) Update the Chrome to ver68 or later on your computer.
2) Click on the URL bar and then head to the following URL:
3) Click on the menu next to “UI Layout for the browser’s top chrome” and select the Refresh option from the popup menu.
4) Click on the URL bar and head to the following URL:
5) Finally, click on “Use Views browser windows” menu and choose the Enabled option from the menu.
6) Restart your Google browser to see the changes.
The Material Design changes on Chrome are not as pronounced on the desktop as they are on mobile. It comes with a tad whiter window along with a more rounded appearance.
Chrome browser for iOS’s Material Design relocates the entire set of navigation controls in the bottom of the screen so that users can reach them more easily just with one finger, especially on iPad models.
How to Enable Chrome’s Material Design on Android
There are also relevant flags for Android users, which are just called Modern Design instead of Material Design. Specifically, you would have to visit the address: chrome://flags/#top-chrome-md in Chrome browser on your Android, and then change the following flags:
- Once done, restart Chrome to enjoy the new Material Design interface on your Chrome
How do you like the Material Design interface in Chrome browser? Let us know your thoughts by leaving a comment below!